Friday, July 2, 2010

Chihuly at CMA

I know I am being completely lazy about updating my blog this week, so the following posts will be a recap of our week.

On Sunday, we went to the Columbus Museum of Art to see "Chihuly Illuminated". I wanted to go see it before the exhibit leaves July 4th and Sunday is also Family Day, so admission is FREE. If you've never seen Chihuly's work you are missing out on some of the most beautiful glasswork out there. The exhibit was smaller than I thought it would be, and most of the pieces were reconfigurations of projects he's done before, so I was a little disappointed. I really liked that they had an entire wall of his paintings, which are just as unique as his glasswork. I also loved that he used neon gas in one of the displays, it was probably the only thing I haven't seen him use before.










The kids were well behaved, they usually do pretty well at the museum, so this wasn't a surprise. As usual CMA did a great job making the exhibit family friendly, along the wall were little shelves with "Glow Boards" for the kids to draw on. They were a big hit with Corbin and Nora.




The other exhibit I wanted to see while we were there was a giant chess set featuring "Alice in Wonderland" sculpted by Joan Wobst. She based her sculptures from original illustrations by Sir John Tenniel, and as many of my friends know I am a huge fan of anything related to "Alice in Wonderland", especially anything related to Tenniel's illustrations.






No comments: